Sunday, January 31, 2016

Cauliflower "Rice" Bowl with Yakitori Chicken

I love Asian flavours but unfortunately I am not a hero at this cuisine, having grown up in a European kitchen. So I am always super impressed when people blog about Asian dishes but always a bit scared to try it out. And then, just in time for Chinese New Year, Kikkoman decided to send me 3 of their products: their famous soy sauce, their wok sauce and their yakitori sauce. So I decided to experiment. I used cauliflower as "rice" because I actually just really love this vegetable and always find love eating it like this. I also added a "dressing" to the rice bowl made with mayonnaise and yakitori sauce. Its tastes really good with the cucumber.

Lastly, I velveted the chicken. This is a way for the chicken to tenderise and not become too dry when you cook it. I love this method and use it when I have the time before cooking with diced poultry. A how to is explained below.

I hope you enjoy this recipe. Even though it is not Chinese and not really Japanese, I think I have used the flavours nicely - so let's say this is a Eurasian dish ;) Do read on until the end - a competition is attached to this recipe!


What do you need? (for big 2 bowls)

Velveting the chicken:
- 1 heaped tbsp of cornflower
- 1 egg white
- 1 tbsp of rice wine of matures rice vinegar
- 2 chicken thighs, no skin, deboned and diced

Rice Bowl:
- 1 avocado
- a bunch of radishes, greenery removed
- 1/2 cucumber
- 1/2 cauliflower (grated or crumbled in a blender)
- a few splashes of Kikkoman Soy Sauce
- 2 tbsp of Kikkoman Yakitori Sauce

Yakitori Mayonnaise:
- half 'n half of mayonnaise and yakitori

Toppings (optional):
- Furikake mix or some toasted sesame seeds
- green part of a spring onion finely sliced


What do you need to do?

First of all I started with velveting the chicken. Simply stir all the ingredients together (except for the chicken) until it becomes a white paste. Once it's a paste, add the diced chicken and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. I use dark chicken meat because it has lots of flavour and it will stay juicier.

While the chicken is marinating, pre-heat the oven. Clean the radishes but keep them whole. Place them in a roasting tray, drizzle with olive oil and some salt. Roast them for about 20 minutes on 180°C.

While the radishes are roasting, it's the perfect moment to blend and crumble your cauliflower. If you don't have a blender, try grating it. But be warned, it gets quite messy. When its done, heat some oil in a frying pan and fry the cauliflower rice. After a minute or two, add some soy sauce to give it the right flavour and colour. When it is done, remove from the pan and set aside.

Remove the radishes from the oven and also set to the side. Take the chicken out of the fridge and fry in some oil in the frying pan you used for the rice. No need to clean it out. Towards the end of the frying process, add a couple of tablespoons of yakitori sauce and leave to simmer a little. Once it heats through it is done!

Now build your bowl! Start off with the rice, add the meat and radishes. Then add the cucumber and avocado and finish off with some of the Yakitori mayonnaise which you make by mixing equal quantities of mayonnaise and Yakitori together. You can finish off with some toppings such as furikake or sesame seeds. Don't forget the spring onions!

Feel like trying this recipe out for yourself? My Belgian readers can win these Kikkoman babies by going to have a look on my Facebook page.

For more information about the Kikkoman products, have a look at their site here.


Did you know?
Cauliflower is super healthy and has great benefits. I do not generally eat gluten-free food but I do get cauliflower cravings from time to time. That is why I sometimes replace my grains with this. If you want more information on cauliflower and its health benefits, I found Helen Nichols' website which gives you some explanations. Have a look here :)

No comments:

Post a Comment